This easy Christmas tree ornament craft for kids is super simple to make and turns out so cute! You’ll just need a few supplies like paper doilies and a craft stick. I love that the entire craft can be completed in just one sitting, making it a great for a last minute Christmas project or homemade gift to make parents in the classroom.
Follow our DIY Christmas Ornaments Pinterest board for even more ideas!
This post contains affiliate links.
These cute doily Christmas tree ornaments are so simple to make and are perfect for kids of all ages, even as young as preschool. This simple craft really allows for all kinds of ways of making it your own- from decorating it in different ways, to choosing to various colors of doilies to use. Such a fun and easy way to promote creativity and help kids feel ownership and pride in their Christmas creation!
Christmas Tree Ornament Craft Using Paper Doilies
Materials for Doily Christmas Tree Ornament
- 4 1/2 inch Paper doilies in any color you’d like to use (white, green polka dot, blue polka dot, color assortment– we bought ours at our local craft store)
- Popsicle stick (craft stick)
- Markers (or other craft items to decorate your ornament)
Directions for Making Doily Christmas Tree Ornament
What I especially like about this Christmas ornament craft, is the doily sections used in the ornament do not need to be cut perfectly. This makes it especially easy to do with younger children and eases any frustration kids might feel about making it “perfect”.
1. Use a pencil to draw a dot in the center of your paper doily. (You can just estimate the center- it doesn’t need to be exact.)
2. Use scissors to cut a line from the edge of the doily to the center dot. Do this until you have cut out two or three triangles.
3. Arrange the triangles from largest to smallest.
4. Glue the largest triangle towards the bottom of your popsicle stick. Be sure to leave room for the trunk. (These individual glue pens are also a great option if you’re doing this activity with a class.)
5. Glue the next smallest triangle above the large doily triangle, overlapping it a bit.
6. Do this with all two or three triangles.
7. Decorate your tree in any way you wish. We used fine-tipped markers to draw on them. You could also glue sequins, small pom poms, crumpled tissue paper squares, card stock mosaic tiles, or paper circles from a hole punch to your tree.
8. Cut a small piece of ribbon and glue it to the back of your popsicle stick for hanging. (We used a glue gun, but craft glue will work just fine too.)
9. Have your child or student write their name and date on the back of the ornament so you’ll always remember when they made it each year as it’s hung on the tree.
Because this craft is so simple and quick, it’s perfect to do at a classroom Christmas party. It also makes a nice keepsake to give to a loved one for Christmas!
Looking for more fun Christmas activities for kids?
Be sure to check out our STEAM Kids Christmas bundle!
You’ll get our popular STEAM Kids ebook, STEAM Kids Christmas ebook, and our STEAM Kids Christmas Coloring ebook to download immediately after purchase!