One of our favorite science activities for kids is observing plant growth. In this science experiment for kids, children will be forcing bulbs into bloom and observing the changes that take place over time. This science exploration allows students the opportunity to observe parts of the plant up close and monitor its growth on a free printable recording sheet.
NGSS: Disciplinary Core Idea LS1.C
Follow our Science for Kids Pinterest board!
Kids love taking part in plant experiments and always seem so fascinated by living things and how they grow. (Be sure to check out our Bean Dissection Experiment for Kids!) In this experiment children will be observing the growth of a bulb over time and recording their observations on a free printable observation sheet! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Materials for Plant Growth Science Experiment
- Clear cup or container for planting
- Marbles, stones or pebbles
- Plant bulb
- Free Observation Printable
Procedure for Observing Plant Growth with Bulbs
- Fill a clear container about 3/4 full with rocks, marbles, or pebbles.
- Place the bulb on top. (Be sure you put the bulb in the container root side down.)
- Fill the glass with water until it’s just barely covering the bottom of the bulb.
- Place the bulb in a sunny window.
- Continue observing the bulb each day and watch what happens. Be sure to add water to the container as the water level begins to go down.
- Record your observations each week on the free printable.
What’s Going On?
By planting a bulb in a clear container with stones, you’ll be able to observe the roots growing, as well as observe the plant growing above the rocks.
Want to go even further?
Even more activities to inspire creativity and critical thinking for various ages.
- Do this experiment with different kinds of bulbs. Compare your observations.
- Have an adult help you cut the bulb in half vertically. What is inside? Cut another bulb in half horizontally. What do you see?
- Plant some bulbs outside around your house or in a pot.
- Create a graph and chart the growth of your bulb each day.
- Plant many bulbs in a large container the same way we did above to create a flowering centerpiece. You could even decorate it!
Be sure to check out STEAM Kids book and ebook for even more creative STEM and STEAM ideas!