One of my best friends bought me an ice cream maker a while back, and it’s been one of the best gifts ever! The kids and I love using it to create any type of frozen yogurt or ice cream flavor we can come up with.
We had a bunch of overripe bananas sitting around so instead of making our usual banana bread, we opted for some banana ice cream! And I had just read a super yummy ice cream post with cookie dough on See You in the Morning, so I thought we’d make our own version of that for our banana ice cream! Lucy and I both agree it’s one of our favorite ice creams we’ve made so far!
Banana Ice Cream w/ Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
For the ice cream~ adapted from Alton Brown
- 6 ripe bananas
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
For the cookie dough~ adapted from See You in the Morning
- 5 T salted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Make the cookie dough~ Whisk together the butter, brown sugar and peanut butter until smooth. Stir in the flour, vanilla and chocolate chips. (We used regular sized chocolate chips that we chopped up).
3. Put bananas, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla bean seeds in a food processor. Process until blended well. Add the cream and process until uniformly blended. Chill mixture in the refrigerator.
4. Once the ice cream mixture and cookie dough are both chilled, it’s time to make the ice cream! Add the ice cream mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker’s directions.
5. Once the ice cream is thoroughly chilled, break up the cookie dough and stir in into your ice cream!
6. Serve as is or put in the freezer for firm ice cream. Enjoy!