This is my all time favorite recipe for pasta sauce that has developed over the years. It’s very easy and tastes delicious!
Sausage Ragu olive oil 1 yellow onion 3 cloves of garlic 3 uncooked sweet italian sausages 1/2 cup red wine 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon oregano 1 teaspoon basil 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 1 tablespoon white sugar Kosher salt (to taste)
1. Dice your onion and garlic before getting everything started. I usually use about 3/4 of an onion.
2. Heat about 2 T of olive oil in your pan. Cook the onion over medium heat until becoming soft and tender. Add your chopped garlic and stir for about 10-15 seconds.
3. Take the uncooked sausage out of the casings and add to the onions and garlic. I up the heat a bit. Use a spatula to break it down and cook until no there is no pink.
4. Add the oregano, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes. (I like a bit of a kick, so do less red pepper flakes if you don’t.)
5. Add the red wine and stir. Let it cook off a bit.
6. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and sugar. Add Kosher salt to taste.
7. Continue cooking, covered, for as long as you can. It’s just fine after about 20 minutes or so, but even better the longer it cooks. (Especially good the next day!)
8. It’s really good served over pasta or creamy polenta!
Or you can even get really creative and fun and make homemade pasta!