If you’re looking for some unique rainbow crafts, you’ll want to try our latest art project! Children will have so much fun creating this colorful rainbow art using watercolors and cotton!
Follow our Rainbow Crafts Pinterest Board!
Rainbow crafts make great projects for spring and St. Patrick’s Day, but honestly, I like doing them with the kids year round. Rainbows just seem to exude happiness and also provide a great way to explore colors!
Our most recent rainbow art for kids is very different from usual rainbow crafts (like this rainbow art project we did earlier this month). We created some colorful patterns with one of our favorite art techniques (painting with watercolors and droppers) and used the result as our rainbow. I’ll also show you an easy way to make clouds from cotton balls which you can add to your finished rainbow! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Unique Rainbow Art for Kids
Materials for Rainbow Art for Kids
- Watercolor paper
- Liquid watercolors
- Pipettes or droppers
- Small containers to hold your paints and glue (I love these small Ball glass jars.)
- Cotton balls
- Liquid glue
- Wax paper
Directions for Unique Rainbow Art for Kids
1. You’ll want to start by making your colorful rainbow paper. Take a piece of watercolor paper and paint it with a layer of water so it’s all wet.
To get more of a rainbow feel, try dropping the paint in rows following the correct order of colors in a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet).
3. Set your paper aside to dry. While your artwork is drying you can make your cotton ball clouds!
- Tear off a piece of wax paper and place it in front of you.
- Pour some liquid glue into a shallow dish or paper plate.
- Take one cotton ball and stretch it out. Dip it in the glue, and then place it on the wax paper.
- Grab another cotton ball, stretch it out, dip it in the glue, and place it next to your first cotton ball on the wax paper.
- Continue doing this until you like your cotton ball cloud shape.
- Let it dry in the sun or overnight. Once it’s completely dry, you can peel it off the wax paper.
4. Once your watercolor paper is dry, cut out some rainbow shapes from it.
5. Add some cotton ball clouds to your rainbows to give it a 3-D effect.
6. Hang your rainbow art and enjoy!