This snowflake ornament craft for kids is one of the easiest yet! You literally just need a few supplies and about 15 minutes! And I love that the snowflake theme can carry right into winter!
Join our FREE email subscriber list!
This post contains affiliate links.
We are in love with the simplicity of making ornaments using clear, plastic globes, and pom poms. They are perfect for all ages (toddlers, preschool, kindergarten, and all the way up through adult) and take hardly any time at all. You can get as creative with you want with just a few materials. (We recently made a Grinch themed ornament using this same method. Be sure to check it out!)
These snowflake ornaments are easy to make, and because they are seasonal, you can keep them up to decorate after Christmas. Maybe string them along a window or hang them on a mini tree.
This snowflake ornament craft would also go great with some of our favorite snowflake books for kids. Check out Snow by Cynthia Rylant (definitely worth owning- it’s beautiful) and Curios About Snow by Gina Shaw. You’ll see all kinds of cool photographs of snow up close in this book!
Snowflake Pom Pom Winter Ornament Craft
Materials for Snowflake Ornament Craft
- Clear, plastic bulb ornaments (It would also be fun to try ornaments of different shapes!)
- White pom poms
- Silver and/or white oil-based marker (We bought some similar to these at our local craft store.)
Directions for Snowflake Ornament Craft
1. Take off the top of your clear plastic bulb and fill it white pom poms until it is full. (Great fine motor practice for little ones!)
2. Put the top back on.
3. Use your oil-based marker to draw various snowflakes around your ornament. Let the paint dry. (You can also use a Sharpie, it just won’t stand out as much. But, if your’e a huge Sharpie fan, they do also make oil-based paint markers!) If you’ve read some snowflake books prior to this activity, kids will have some ideas on different snowflake designs!
4. Hang it on your tree to enjoy. We left ours as is, but you could also tie a silver ribbon around the top!
Looking for some fun STEM / STEAM activities for Christmas? Check out our STEAM Kids Christmas Ebook!
Countdown to Christmas with captivating STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) activities that will wow the boredom right out of kids!
Inside the book you’ll find:
— 25 days of holiday projects for kids
— Printable, buildable advent calendar
— Christmas STEAM Challenge Cards
— Shopping lists to make prep easy
— And more…