Make this adorable cardinal craft for kids using just strips of paper! This cardinal craft is perfect for winter, a unit on birds, and even makes a cute Christmas ornament!
Follow our Crafts for Kids Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love the simplicity of paper crafts. You only need a few supplies, and, although they are so simple to make, they turn out really cute! This cardinal craft is made using strips of paper glued together. You can cut your own strips of paper or print out the free template (in the materials list below) and have the kids color and cut out their own paper strips.
Be sure to check out our other paper strip crafts!
- Paper Strip Angel Ornament
- Paper Strip Fish
- Paper Strip Cardinal
- Paper Strip Snowman
- Paper Strip Heart Structures
Paper Strip Cardinal Craft for Kids
Materials for Paper Cardinal Craft
Scissors or Paper Cutter (This is the paper cutter I use at home.)
Glue stick (We love using these glue sticks. They hold the paper together quickly and securely.)
Optional: String for hanging
Construction Paper or Cardstock Cut into the Following Sizes
- One red paper strip for the head: 6 inches x 3/4 inch
- One red paper strip for the body: 11 inches x 3/4 inch
- Two black paper strips for the legs: 2 inches x 3/4 inch
- One yellow paper strip for the beak: 2 inches x 3/4 inch
Or you can print out our free paper cardinal craft template right onto white cardstock and have kids color and cut out the strips themselves.
See it in action here!
Directions for Paper Cardinal Craft
Cut your open paper strips using the dimensions above or print out the free template and color and cut out the paper strips.
1. Make the cardinal body by placing glue on one end of the 11 inch paper strip and sticking the other end on top forming a teardrop shape.
2. Do the same with the red, six-inch paper strip to form the head.
3. Glue the head on top of the body.
4. To make the beak you’ll be folding the yellow strip into a triangle following the photos below. (The last photo of the beak below is reversed.)
5. Glue the beak onto your bird.
6. Fold the two black strips of paper to form legs as shown below and glue them to your cardinal’s body.
6. Optional: Add string to hang your paper cardinal craft!
Other Paper Strip Crafts