Make an easy heart butterfly craft using just strips of paper! This paper craft for kids is perfect for Valentine’s Day, spring, or a unit on butterflies. Just print out the free template, and you’re ready to get creating!
Follow our Valentine’s Day for Kids Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate links.
You can make this easy butterfly craft using just four paper hearts! Use any colored paper you’d like and hang them up to make your home festive for Valentine’s Day or spring!
See it in action here!
Be sure to check out our other paper strip crafts!
- Paper Strip Angel Ornament
- Paper Strip Fish
- Paper Strip Cardinal
- Paper Strip Snowman
- Paper Strip Heart Structures
- Paper Strip Heart Butterflies
Paper Heart Butterfly Craft
Materials for Paper Heart Butterfly Craft
- Scissors or paper cutter (This is the paper cutter I use at home.)
- Glue stick or Glue dots (If you are using a thick paper like cardstock, the glue dots will be a better choice to hold the heart shapes in place. If you are using a thinner construction paper, the glue sticks should work fine.)
- Optional: Yarn or string if you want to hang your butterflies.
- Construction paper or cardstock cut into strips: You’ll need two paper strips measuring 7 inches x 3/4 inch for the body and two paper strips measuring 11 inches x 3/4 inch for the wings. You’ll also need two thin strips of black paper for the antennae measuring about 2 1/2 inches long.
Or you can print out our free template right onto cardstock and have children color and cut out their own strips. They can even color the wings various colors to make a colorful butterfly for spring!
Directions for Making the Paper Heart Butterfly
1. Start by making four paper hearts using the directions below.
- Take one strip of paper.
- Fold it in half to form the bottom point of the heart.
- Take the top two ends and bend them towards each other to form the top of the heart. Hold the ends in place with a glue stick or glue dot. (If using cardstock, definitely use glue dots for this. You can buy a roll like this and cut off a strip for each student to use.)
2. Line up the side, bottom edge of the small heart with the side, bottom edge of a larger heart and glue together. Glue the remaining two hearts to form a butterfly shape.
3. Glue two black antennae to the top of your butterfly. Wrap the antennae around a pencil and gently pull the pencil out to curl the antennae a bit.
4. Tie some yarn or string on your butterfly for hanging!
Looking for even more Valentine’s Day Ideas?
Be sure to check out our Valentine’s Day STEAM Ebook!
More About the Ebook:
- Inside you’ll find entertaining and educational projects like: – Valentine Rockets – Origami Hearts – DIY Valentine Speakers – and so much more!
- Perfect for children ages 4-10, all the step-by-step activities are helpfully coded with difficulty indicators and estimated project times.
- PLUS, bonus STEAM challenge cards, heart tessellations and project extensions for curious kids.
SEE IT NOW HERE!