Today I’m sharing a tutorial for making dancing ribbon rings! These are such a fun homemade toy for music and movement and would also make great party favors.
Are you following Buggy and Buddy on Pinterest?
After watching my two year old’s fascination with dancing ribbon rings at our local music class, I knew I had to make some for him to use at home!
If you’re not familiar with ribbon rings, they’re basically rings (large enough for small hands to hold) with ribbons streaming from them. Ribbon rings are wonderful toys for both outdoor and indoor play and inspire all kinds of dancing, twirling, and imaginative play! And the best part~ they are super easy to make! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Safety Warning: Any string from toys or window blinds longer than 12 inches is considered a strangulation hazard for all children. The finished length of our ribbon ring streamers is 18 inches. DO NOT leave your child unattended with these toys.
How to Make Dancing Ribbon Rings
Materials for Dancing Ribbon Rings
- Ring (We used 3 inch wooden rings purchased on Etsy, but you can also use curtain rings or shower curtain rings.)
- Ribbon in variety of colors (We decided to make rainbow ribbon rings so we used all the colors of the rainbow! Our ribbon was 1/4 inch wide and purchased at our local craft store. If you are unable to purchase your ribbon locally, there are some variety packs of ribbon online like this one. It’s a little thicker, but will definitely still work!)
- Lighter or candle (optional)
Directions for Making Dancing Ribbon Rings
1. Cut your ribbon into 36 inch strips. (We used 7 different colors of ribbon, each 36 inches long, but you could use whichever colors you’d like.)
2. Tie ribbons onto the ring: Pull one 36 inch ribbon through the ring and stop when it’s halfway through.
Knot it twice onto the ring. You now have two 18 inch ribbons hanging from your ring. Do this for the remaining ribbons.
3. To keep your ribbon from fraying, quickly run the ends of the ribbons through a flame from a lighter or candle. This will melt the ends and seal them.
These dancing ribbon rings would make great handmade gifts for loved ones and wonderful stocking stuffers or goodies for an Easter basket!
Be sure not to miss these other homemade toy tutorials on Buggy and Buddy!