In this robot craft and STEM activity, children will color a free printable robot and turn it into a gliding robot toy. This fun activity combines creativity with scientific thinking.
Follow our Free Printables Pinterest board!
We have been having all kinds of robot-themed fun in my kindergarten enrichment class! The kids loved our latest activity- creating climbing robots. Not only did the kids have fun coloring designs and patterns on their robot templates, but they came up with all kinds of predictions and theories while turning their robots into climbing toys! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Robot Craft: Free Printable Gliding Robot Toy
Materials for Gliding Robot
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Drinking straw
- String, fishing line, or thin yarn
- Two pony beads in any color
- White cardstock
- Free printable robot template
Directions for Gliding Robot
1. Print the robot template onto white cardstock.
2. Color your robot with markers, crayons, or colored pencils.
3. Cut out your robot.
4. Cut two 1.5 inch pieces off your straw. Tape them onto the back of your robot.
5. Take a piece of string about 4 feet long and thread both ends through the two straw pieces so that you form a giant loop above your robot.
6. Tie a pony bead onto each end of the string to keep the string from coming out of the straw pieces.
7. Hang your gliding robot onto a doorknob or from the ceiling.
8. Grab one bead in each hand and pull out and away from the robot. Watch it glide up!
See the Robot Glider in Action Here
Ways to Extend the Activity
– Try taping the straws at different angles and locations on your robot. How does the location of the straws affect how the robot travels?
– Compare how different types of string affect how the robot travels.