Here’s an easy sensory Halloween activity for kids that would be perfect for a Halloween party- a simple invitation to create with the colors black and white. This post also includes our black playdough recipe.
Follow our Halloween for Kids Pinterest board!
*This post was originally published on September 9, 2014 and has since been updated.
I love creating open-ended play activities for the kids using homemade playdough. (One of my favorites is this rocky shore small world using ocean playdough!) With Halloween getting closer, I decided to center this playdough activity around the colors black and white! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Materials for Halloween Playdough Activity
- Black playdough (Our recipe for black playdough is at the end of this post.)
- Googly eyes in various sizes
- Black pipe cleaners cut in half
- White pony beads
- Black and white straws cut up into small pieces (which we also used for our Press Here Necklace Craft)
I always love to sit back and observe all the creative ideas the kids come up with! Theo enjoyed making this cool sculpture that he named “The Pokey Tree”.
Lucy used the materials to make some different spooky creatures!
This was such an easy Halloween activity to set up, and the kids played with the materials for almost an hour! When they were finished creating, we sorted all the loose parts and packed them away to play with again on another day!
How to Make Black Playdough
1. Mix together the following ingredients in a pan over medium heat:
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup black liquid watercolor
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2. Once the dough forms a ball, pour it onto a piece of wax paper or other safe surface. When it’s cool enough, knead the dough until smooth. Optional: Knead black glitter into your dough!