This heart chalk stencil art is one of our favorite Valentine’s Day crafts for kids. Children always seem to enjoy this fun method of creating collages using chalk and stencils!
Follow our Valentine’s Day for Kids Pinterest board!
Do you remember our Christmas Light Chalk Stencil Art from a few months back? We enjoyed that project so much that we wanted to try using the same method to make a Valentine’s Day craft. We came up with this colorful heart collage. I love how the hearts look like they’re almost glowing! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Chalk Stencil Heart Collage
Materials for Heart Collage
- Black construction paper
- Colored chalk
- Cotton balls
- Thick paper like card stock or file folders to make the heart stencil. You can even used old pieces of cardboard from cereal boxes!
Directions for Making the Heart Collage
1. Draw a heart shape on your thick paper and cut it out. This will be your stencil for tracing.
2. Place your heart stencil on the black paper. Outline it with a piece of colored chalk.
3. Still holding the stencil in place, use a cotton ball to brush the chalk away from the stencil. Do this all the way around the heart stencil.
4. Remove the stencil to reveal your heart!
5. Continue making hearts using different colored chalk to create your collage.
- Try out different colors of paper for the background or experiment with mixing and blending the chalk.
- You can even overlap the stencils to create some interesting designs!
- Try making other pictures with heart stencils. We used the hearts to make a flower!