Are you celebrating New Year’s Eve with kids this year? Help them countdown to the new year with these paper plate countdown clocks! Children will love using the movable clock hands to count down each hour until the start of the new year!
Are you following our New Year’s Activities and Crafts for Kids Pinterest board?
We love celebrating the arrival of a new year together as a family. This year I thought it’d be fun to make something the kids could use to countdown each hour until midnight (if they manage to stay up that long!).
These countdown clocks are made from paper plates and have movable hands so kids can move them at each hour. (And they can even be used later on for practice telling time.) They can be decorated as simply or as elaborately as you want. I’ll show you a few examples below, but there’s pretty much endless possibilities as far as decorating them. (This post contains affiliate links.)
New Year’s Eve Countdown Clock Craft for Kids
Materials for Countdown Clock Craft
- Paper plates (We used black, 9-inch plates.)
- Cardstock or foam sheets to make the clock hands
- Single hole punch
- Number stickers or a Sharpie
- Optional supplies to decorate your clock: glitter, pipe cleaners, star sequins, foam stickers
Directions for Making Countdown Clock Craft
3. Punch a hole in each clock hand. Poke a hole in the center of your plate. Attach the clock hands to your clock with a brad.
4. Decorate your clock! Here’s a few options:
Spread glue around the edge of your plate, and cover it with glitter. Shake off the excess glitter to make a glittery clock.
Glue some large sequins around the edge of your plate. We used some star sequins.
Punch holes around the edge of your plate. Twist some pipe cleaners through the holes. (You can make them spiral by wrapping them around a pencil.)
Other ideas for decorating your clock:
- Add stickers and/or foam stickers around the edge.
- Paint your clock.
- Use crayons or markers to decorate the edges.
5. (Optional) To help Theo understand when the new year would arrive, I attached a glittery ‘2015’ to the top of the clock with a popsicle stick and some glue. Now he can visually see the when the new year will start- when both clock hands point up to the ‘2015’!
Now your children are ready to count down to the new year! At each hour help your child move the clock hands one hour closer to midnight!
Be sure to check out these other activities for kids perfect for the new year: