Looking for a simple 4th of July craft for kids? These patriotic necklaces are super easy to make and provide a wonderful opportunity for patterning and fine motor practice.
Are you following our Patriotic Crafts for Kids Pinterest board?
With the 4th of July holiday nearing and the kids home from school and looking for things to do, this patriotic craft was the perfect solution! Both my 3 year old and 6 year hold were very content creating with their beads and straws for quite some time and ended up with the perfect accessories to wear on the Fourth of July! (This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for your continued support!)
4th of July Craft for Kids: Patriotic Necklace
Materials for Patriotic Necklace Craft
- String or thin yarn
- Scotch tape
- Blue pony beads
- Red straws (We used some red striped paper straws we had on hand.)
*Beads and small pieces of straw are choking hazards. Never leave your child unattended with these materials.
Directions for Patriotic Necklace Craft
2. Cut a piece of string long enough to fit over your child’s head when tied. (Be sure to leave a little extra for tying the finished necklace together.)
3. Tie a pony bead to one end of the string. This will keep the beads and straws from slipping off while your child is stringing. On the other end of the string, wrap a piece of scotch tape. Making the end of the string sturdy with tape will help your child thread more easily.
4. Begin threading you beads and straw pieces onto the string. You can create any pattern you’d like!
We started out alternating between one bead and one straw piece.
We also made some by alternating between 5 beads and one straw piece.
5. When you’re happy with your creation, tie the string together to create your necklace.
6. Cut off the ends with the tape and attached pony bead. You’re done!
Tip: Smaller children will find it easier to use pipe cleaners for threading rather than string. They can turn their finished creations into bracelets!
This patriotic craft kept the kids busy for quite some time! After making their own red, white, and blue bracelets, they made even more to give their friends as gifts!
Be sure not to miss these other patriotic crafts for kids on Buggy and Buddy: