Make a pair of binoculars for cloud watching using empty toilet paper rolls! These cloud-themed, cardboard tube binoculars such a fun craft and STEM/STEAM activity and are perfect for a rainy day and would make a great addition to any weather unit.
This post contains affiliate links.
We have had some good cloud watching days recently, so the kids and I decided to make something to help us with our cloud observations- cloud-themed binoculars! These are so easy to make and fit right in with all our weather activities for kids.
Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars Craft for Cloud Watching
Materials for Cloud Binoculars Craft
- 2 Empty toilet paper rolls (or other cardboard tubes)
- Blue tempera paint (We used our favorite tempera paint!)
- Cotton balls
- Liquid glue
- String or yarn
- Single hole punch (I used this smaller hole punch since my string was so thin, but a regular one will work too.)
- Optional: Hot glue gun
Directions for Making the Cloud Binoculars Craft
1. Paint two cardboard tubes with blue tempera paint and let dry.
2. Glue cotton ball clouds around both tubes using liquid glue. (I had to show the kids how to separate the cotton balls into small pieces. A little goes a long way!) Let the cotton clouds dry.
3. Glue the two cardboard tubes together. (Having sides with cotton balls glued together helps separate the tubes just enough so that they fit kids’ eyes better.) I used a hot glue gun so the glue would dry quickly. If you use regular liquid glue, you’ll need to clip the tubes together to hold them in place as they dry.
4. Once your binoculars are dry, punch a small hole onto the outside edge of each tube.
5. Cut a piece of string long enough to fit over your child’s head. Tie each end of the string through on of the holes.
Have fun observing clouds!
Be sure to check out STEAM Kids book and ebook for even more creative STEM and STEAM ideas!