Homemade playdough is one of our favorite play materials. We use it often with cookie cutters, in small worlds, or simply on its own. Here’s our favorite homemade playdough recipe that’s sturdy and smooth- perfect for sculpting!
Follow our Recipes for Play & Creating Pinterest board!
I love being able to whip up a batch of playdough whenever I want, and I especially love being able to control the ingredients of materials my children are playing with. This is one of our favorite homemade playdough recipes. This playdough ends up nice and sturdy, but also very smooth, so it’s perfect for sculpting! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Homemade Playdough Recipe for Sturdy and Smooth Playdough
Ingredients for Homemade Playdough
1 cup flour
1/3 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons baby oil
1 cup water
Liquid watercolors or food coloring
Directions for Making Playdough
1. Place the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baby oil in a saucepan. (This is the perfect step for the kids to help with- Lucy and Theo love measuring!)
2. Use a liquid measuring cup to measure one cup of water. Add your food coloring or liquid water color to the water and stir.
3. Pour the colored water into the saucepan with the other ingredients.
4. Stir constantly over medium-low heat. At first it will be very soupy, but soon it will begin to thicken (and give your arm quite a workout)! Once it forms a fairly stiff ball, place the playdough onto a safe surface. (We usually place it on wax paper or a cutting board.) Once it has cooled enough to touch, knead the dough until it’s soft and uniform in color and texture.
5. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks!