Create a 3-D self portrait paper doll for all kinds of occasions using our free printable boy and girl body and clothing templates. This craft for kids can be used for school or home. Create one at the start of the school year and end of the school year to compare. Or use them for units on long ago or family trees. They even fit into lessons on weather and seasons!
Every year I would place all kinds of materials out for my students to create their own self portrait paper dolls. We’d hang them around the classroom to represent our classroom family. (You could also do this as a family project at home, creating dolls to represent everyone in your family.)
Below I’ve included directions for two versions. The first version uses scrapbooking paper and construction paper that can be traced and glued onto the doll. This version also includes more crafting materials like yarn for hair. (Some kids even like making little ribbons for their yarn hair.) The second version is much simpler, designed to be able to be made using just paper, crayons, scissors and glue.
Self Portrait Paper Doll Craft with Boy and Girl and Clothing Free Printable Templates
Materials for Self Portrait Paper Dolls
- Printable Templates
- Cardstock to print templates onto (white or various skin shades) I cut this construction paper into 8 1/2 x 11 to run through my printer using this paper cutter.
- Glue stick or liquid glue
- Crayons, markers or colored pencils
- Optional: Colored Construction Paper or Cardstock
- Optional: Scrapbooking paper (like this) or cardstock with various designs
- Optional: Yarn, stickers, mini pom poms, thin ribbon, google eyes
Directions for Self Portrait Paper Dolls Version 1
- Print out the body templates onto colored cardstock. You can get packs of cardstock in various skin shades at your local craft store. I cut this construction paper into 8 1/2 x 11 inch to fit through my printer.
- Print out the clothing templates on thick, white cardstock. Cut them out to be used as “tracers”.
- Place a variety of scrapbooking paper, colored construction paper out for children to choose from.
- Have each child choose a printed-out body template and cut it out.
- Decide on which type of clothing they’d like to dress their 3-D self portraits in. There are pants, shorts, skirts, blouses and tee shirts to choose from.
- Select scraps of paper to trace their clothing templates onto. (Hint: Trace onto the BACK of the patterned paper to be able to more easily see the pencil line.)
- Cut out clothing from patterned paper or construction paper.
- Glue to the clothing to the body template.
- Add details using markers or colored pencils. Ex. Eyes, nose, mouth, fingers (You can also use google eyes or eye stickers.)
- Cut scraps of yarn and glue on for hair.
- Add any other details you’d like to your paper self portrait. (Shoes, hair bows, jewelry, details on clothing etc.)
Directions for Self Portrait Paper Dolls Version 2 (Simpler Version)
- Print out body templates and clothing templates onto white cardstock or printer paper.
- Color and cut out the body template.
- Color and cut out clothing for your self portrait.
- Glue the clothing onto your body template.
- Draw or color your face and hair onto your paper doll.
- Add any other details.
These are so fun to make to start the school year. I also like to have the kids make them again at the end of the year. You can also use these same printables to create people from long ago. Or really get creative and use them during the seasons. Have children design appropriate clothing for each type of weather to put on their paper dolls. So many possibilities!