This Santa hat homemade Christmas ornament made from craft sticks is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers to make. You’ll just need a few crafting supplies to get started!
Follow our Christmas for Kids and Family Pinterest board!
*This post was originally published on December 3, 2014.
My favorite ornaments to put up on the Christmas tree are definitely the ones made by the kids. For our newest ornament I wanted to come up with a simple one that Theo, my preschooler, could do mostly on his own (like our tear art Christmas wreath ornament).
This Santa Hat ornament ended up being perfect for him. It involves some painting and gluing- two things Theo loves to do! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Santa Hat Homemade Christmas Ornament
Materials for Santa Hat Ornament
- Popsicle sticks (We made ornaments with jumbo popsicle sticks, some with regular popsicle sticks, and some with mini popsicle sticks!)
- Hot glue gun (optional)
- Red tempera paint and brush
- Cotton balls
- White pom poms (optional)
- Liquid glue
- String for hanging
Directions for Making the Santa Hat Ornament
2. Paint the triangle red, and let it dry.
3. Glue cotton balls along the bottom of the hat, and glue one right on top.
- Try using different sized popsicle sticks. We used mini sticks for some of our ornaments. Instead of gluing cotton balls on them, we glued on small white pom poms (which I received from Craftprojectideas.com).
- Give your child creative freedom. Although my hat had cotton balls only along the bottom and top of the hat, Theo wanted to glue cotton balls around the whole thing. Isn’t it cute?
Looking for some fun STEM / STEAM activities for Christmas? Check out our STEAM Kids Christmas Ebook!
Countdown to Christmas with captivating STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) activities that will wow the boredom right out of kids!
Inside the book you’ll find:
— 25 days of holiday projects for kids
— Printable, buildable advent calendar
— Christmas STEAM Challenge Cards
— Shopping lists to make prep easy
— And more…