Here’s how to make a simple ladybug corner bookmark craft for kids using a square of paper and a few embellishments. Such a fun paper project for kids and a great introduction to origami too!
Follow our Crafts and Projects for Older Children Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate links.
Kids love making things they can use, and this DIY ladybug corner bookmark is super handy for any reader. (It also makes a great homemade gift for a friend or relative too!) The folding involved in this bookmark craft is very simple, making it a great introduction to origami crafts.
Be sure to check out the related fiction and nonfiction ladybug books below and use this ladybug craft as an extension activity to them.
DIY Ladybug Corner Bookmarks
Materials for Ladybug Corner Bookmark
- Red origami paper or red construction paper cut into a square (You can try out different sizes, but 6 x 6 inch, 7 x 7 inch and 8 x 8 inch seem to come out to a good size for a bookmark.)
- Black construction paper
- 2 Googly eyes
- Black Sharpie
- Glue Stick
Directions for Ladybug Corner Bookmark
- Fold the origami paper in half to create a large triangle.
- Lay it with the fold facing down and the top point of the triangle at the top. Fold the right hand corner up to create another triangle.
- Repeat with the left side. You should have a diamond shape.
- Unfold it and turn the triangle upside down. Fold the top piece of the bottom point upwards to the center to create a triangle.
5. Take the left side and fold it into the small envelope pocket you just created.
6. Repeat with the right side.
7. This is your basic bookmark shape.
8. Fold the bookmark in half. Draw half a heart onto your bookmark.
Cut your bookmark into a heart shape. This will be the ladybug’s body. Open it up.
9. Cut a circle out of black construction paper for your ladybug’s head.
10. Glue the head to the back of the heart shape.
11. Glue two googly eyes to the ladybug’s head.
12. On the heart, using a black marker, draw polka dots.
See more crafts and activities for kids in the video below!