Use our free printable Santa template and some craft sticks to make an easy Santa Claus Christmas ornament! This DIY holiday craft for kids turns out super cute and is perfect for a wide age range of kids. These homemade Santa ornaments are even quick and simple enough to make in one day, perfect for a classroom party.
This post contains affiliate links.
Aren’t these homemade Santa Claus ornaments absolutely adorable? They’re a step up from our popular popsicle stick Santa hat ornaments, requiring a bit more cutting and gluing, but still suitable for both primary and upper grade students. You’ll just need a few common crafting materials and our optional free Santa template to make these adorable Santa Claus ornaments for the Christmas tree!
See it in action here:
Some Santa Claus Books to Accompany the Craft
Craft Stick Santa Claus Ornament for Kids
Materials for Craft Stick Santa Claus Ornament
- Two regular craft sticks (Ours measured 4 1/2 inches in length.)
- One mini craft stick (Ours measured 2 1/2 inches in length.)
- Liquid glue (You can also buy sets of tacky glue pens made for younger students.)
- Optional: hot glue gun
- White pompoms in various sizes
- Small, red pompom
- Googly eyes
- Cardstock in white (or red and various shades of brown)
- Ribbon, yarn or string for hanging
- Optional: Free printable template
Directions for Making Craft Stick Santa Claus Ornament
For this craft you’ll need various triangle shapes. Kids can cut out their own or you can use our free template. If using our free template, you can print the template out onto white cardstock and have the kids color the paper, or you can print the template out onto colored cardstock, eliminating the need to color.
1. Glue your craft sticks together to form a tall, pointy triangle.
2. Glue your skin colored triangle to your popsicle stick triangle.
3. Glue the small, red triangle to the top of your Santa. This will be his hat.
4. Glue the other two triangles onto the bottom of your triangle Santa as shown below.
5. Glue a white pompom onto the top of Santa’s hat and smaller white pompoms onto the bottom of his hat.
6. Add two googly eyes and a red pompom for Santa’s face.
7. Glue some string or ribbon onto the back for hanging.
Tips and Ideas
- These would also be cute using felt in place of cardstock.
- You can paint the craft stick triangles red before creating the craft if you’d like a red border.
- If wanting to do this project in one day, have the craft sticks glued together for the students ahead of time.
- You can also make a yarn version of these which are super cute! Just follow directions similar to how we made our yarn reindeer ornaments, being sure to start wrapping the yarn at the corners.