Making these DIY felt bird hair clips is super simple! Follow this step-by-step tutorial to create all kinds of cute bird hair clips- perfect to wear in spring and summer, and they make great homemade gifts too! (This post contains affiliate links.)
Be sure to follow our Buggy and Buddy Pinterest board to keep up with all the latest posts!
There are so many cute hair accessories for girls, and Lucy loves putting each and every one in her hair. Some days I think she’s actually put every clip, headband and bow in her hair that she owns! Since she loves them so much, I thought it’d be fun to make some little birdie hair clips for her for spring.
These felt bird hair clips are really easy to make. I used wool felt because I love the feel and quality of it, but you could just use regular felt from your local craft store too. (I buy my wool felt from Felt on the Fly).
Materials for Felt Bird Hair Clips
Directions for Felt Bird Hair Clips
- Design and cut out your bird shape. You want the bird shape to be slightly bigger than your hair clip since the hair clip will actually fit inside the sewn bird. (I practiced drawing some on bird shapes paper. When I found one I liked, I cut it out and traced it onto the felt. You’ll need to trace two- one for both the top and bottom.)
- Cut out a little felt heart for the wing. Sew it in place.
- Sew a little eye for your bird with black thread.
4. Prepare the bottom of the bird: Cut a little slit in the back piece of felt for the hair clip to slip through. (See photos below).
5. Create a stack of the felt pieces to be sewn. Place the bottom piece of felt (with the hair clip through the slit and snapped closed) on the bottom and the top bird piece on top. Slip a little felt beak between the two pieces on the side. (You’ll have to hold it in place as you sew.)
6. Sew all three pieces together. Start at the beak so you can be sure it’s secured and won’t fall out as you’re sewing the rest of your clip.
7. Wear them and enjoy!
Tip: When we made these bird hair clips for favors for Lucy’s birthday party, we attached them to little gift tags (similar to these)!