There are so many cute hair accessories for girls, and Lucy loves putting each and every one in her hair. Some days I think she’s actually put every clip, headband and bow in her hair that she owns! Since she loves them so much, I thought it’d be fun to make some little birdie hair clips for her for spring.
These felt bird hair clips are really easy to make. I used wool felt because I love the feel and quality of it, but you could just use regular felt from your local craft store too. (I buy my wool felt from Felt on the Fly).
- hair clip
- embroidery thread
- embroidery needle
- The first thing you need to do is make your bird shape. You want it to be slightly bigger than your hair clip since the hair clip will actually fit inside the sewn bird. I practiced drawing some on bird shapes paper. When I found one I liked, I cut it out and traced it onto the felt. You’ll need to trace two (one for both the top and bottom.)
- Next we’ll be adding details to just the top piece of felt. Cut out a little felt heart for the wing. Sew it in place.
- Sew a little eye for your bird with black thread.
4. Now let’s prepare the bottom of the bird. You’re going to cut a little slit in the bottom piece of felt for the hair clip to slip through. (See photos below).
5. Time for the final step~ We’re going to line up all the pieces and sew them together. Place the bottom piece of felt (with the hair clip through the slit and snapped closed) on the bottom and the top bird piece on top. Slip a little felt beak between the two pieces on the side. You’ll have to hold it in place as you sew.