In our latest science activity for kids we’ll be exploring the sense of sound by making our own musical instrument- a kazoo! (Be sure to link up all your posts related to music and musical instruments at the end of this post!)
Exploring the sense of sound is always a hit with my two kids. Previously we’ve explored sound using a wire clothes hanger and gone on a sound walk. Today we’ll be exploring the sense of sound with our own homemade kazoo from a cardboard tube! (This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.)
Exploring Sound with a Homemade Kazoo
- Cardboard tube (old toilet paper roll or paper towel roll)
- Wax paper
- Sharp pencil (or other sharp object) to poke holes
- Paint or other art supplies to decorate your kazoo (optional)
- Cover the end of your cardboard tube with wax paper. Secure it with a rubberband.
- Poke a hole in the side of the tube using the sharp pencil or other sharp object. (I used the poky end of a candy thermometer.)
4. Optional: Paint your kazoo!
Questions to Spark More Curiosity & Critical Thinking
What do you hear? How are the sounds being made? Do the sounds change when you hum different tunes?
Lucy’s theory~ “I think my voice is hitting the wax paper and coming back to me.”
Explanation: The wax paper vibrates from the sound of your voice, amplifying it.
Want to go even further?
Even more activities to inspire creativity and critical thinking for various ages.
- Try varying the length of the kazoo using different sized tubes. Do they sound the same of different?
- Poke more holes in the sides of your kazoo. Does covering the holes change the sounds you make?
- Try changing the material you cover your tube with (saran wrap or parchment paper for instance.) Do any other materials work better? Why or why not?
Now it’s your turn! We’d love for you to share how you
Discover and Explore: Music & Instruments!
Currently Open– Music & Instruments
January 22nd- Polar Animals
January 29th- Valentine’s Day
February 5th- Olympic Games
February 12th- Math
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, printables, etc.
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you’d like, grab a button for your post — we love to share and want to find lots of great activities to highlight for you!
The linky will remain open for one week. Then all three co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post the following Wednesday. All featured posts will be shared on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. (Be sure to follow so you don’t miss any features!)
Don’t forget to follow my amazing co-hosts to see what they’re sharing this week!