Create some fall art inspired by real pumpkins with this pumpkin still life art project for kids! It’s the perfect, relaxing art activity to do on a fall afternoon! It also makes a great activity to do during the Halloween season.
Follow our Fall Crafts and Learning for Kids Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate links.
After seeing all the pumpkins and squash at our local markets, I couldn’t resist buying a few for this easy and classic art project for kids.
We used oil pastels and liquid watercolors to create these still life paintings of our pumpkins for fall. I set this project up for the kids to do after school, but it would also make a great classroom activity!
Pumpkin Still Life Art Project for Kids
Materials for Pumpkin Still Life Art Project
- Art paper (We love this art paper– super inexpensive and works great with watercolor paint!)
- Oil pastels (We used these oil pastels.)
- Watercolor paint (We used liquid watercolors, but you could use watercolor cakes.)
Directions for Pumpkin Still Life Art Project
1. Place your pumpkins and squash on the table within reach of the kids.
2. Use your oil pastels to draw one or more of the pumpkins onto your art paper. Encourage the children to look at the lines they see as they look closely at each pumpkin. Be sure to draw in details as you study your pumpkin.
3. When you’re done drawing the pumpkins or squash, use watercolor paints to paint over your oil pastel drawings.
4. Let the artwork dry completely and display for fall or Halloween!