Felt boards are one of our most used toys at home! We use them often for retelling stories, making up our own stories, or building designs with little felt shapes.
Making your own felt board is very easy and inexpensive. You can do it in about 15 minutes and need only a few supplies. Here’s how we made ours! This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.
- framed cork board (whatever size you want your felt board to be)
- large piece of felt (a bit larger than your cork board)
- adhesive spray (We used All Purpose Tacky Adhesive Spray)
- X-ACTO knife (Ours was similar to this.)
- push pins (optional)
1. Place your cork board on the floor. Lay your piece of felt over the board, lining up two of the sides exactly.
2. Use the push pins to hold your felt in place. (optional)
3. Use scissors to cut off large pieces of the extra felt.
4. Use your X-ACTO knife to cut your felt into the perfect shape, running it right down the inside edge of the frame.
5. Find a well ventilated area to spray on your adhesive. I placed my felt (back-side up) on some newspaper outside. Spray your adhesive, being sure to cover the entire piece.
6. Place your felt (sticky side down) onto the cork board, lining it up as perfectly as you can. (If you are doing a large board, you may want an extra pair of hands to help with this part.)
7. Go around the edges tugging and pushing the felt until it lines up nicely with the framed edge. Rub your hands across the whole board to help the felt adhere to the cork board. Use the X-ACTO to trim off any little parts that neat to be cleaned up.
8. Let it dry and it’s ready to go!
More Felt Board Resources
- How we make and store our felt story pieces~ Homemade Felt Boards and Stories
- Weather Felt Board from Twodaloo
- Felt Board Easter Eggs from Fireflies & Mudpies
- Giant Felt Board from Fun at Home with Kids
- Felt Dinosaur Dress-Up from Fun at Home with Kids