Here’s a Santa craft for kids that uses a super fun art technique- printing with yarn and pipe cleaners! The finished Santa Claus artwork can be hung to decorate for the holidays!
Follow our Christmas for Kids and Family Pinterest board!
Recently we made a fun Santa Claus craft using construction paper and white tempera paint. Our favorite part of this Christmas art activity was using a yarn-wrapped roller and some twisted pipe cleaners to create a cool looking beard for our Santas! This post contains affiliate links.
Santa Craft for Kids with Printed Beards
Materials for Santa Craft
- Black construction paper- 12 x 18 inch
- Scraps of white, red, and black construction paper
- Manilla paper (or any other color you’d like to use for Santa’s face)
- White tempera paint
- Small roller or mini rolling pin (Be sure to use some type of roller you don’t mind getting covered with paint!)
- Pipe cleaners
Directions for Santa Craft
1. Place your black paper vertically in front of you.
2. Use your scissors to cut out an oval shape from the manilla paper. Glue it to the top of your black paper. This is Santa’s face.
4. Place some white tempera paint in a shallow tray or paper plate. Roll your yarn-wrapped roller through the paint on your paper plate. Then, roll the roller down from Santa’s face to the bottom of your paper to make a print for his beard. Do this as many times as you’d like. (If the roller is saturated with a lot of paint after rolling it on the paper plate, you can do a few rolls onto some newspaper or scrap paper to remove the excess paint before rolling it onto your black paper.)
5. Twist some pipe cleaners into the shape of a curl. Dip it into your white paint and use it to stamp curls all over Santa’s beard.
6. As the paint is drying, you can add the rest of the details to your Santa. Cut out a triangle for a hat. Glue a white rectangle to the bottom of the hat and a white circle on top. Then, glue your hat onto your Santa.
7. Give your Santa some eyes and a red, cherry nose.
8. Display your finished Santa!
Looking for the perfect gift? Be sure to check out all our gift guides for kids!