Homemade playdough is so simple to make. I like being able to whip it up really fast whenever the kids are looking for something to do. This homemade playdough recipe is perfect for kids to help with too!
My daughter’s preschool frequently has playdough out for the kids to explore with in the mornings upon arrival so Lucy and I thought we’d make some fresh playdough for school tomorrow! She decided on yellow and orange (and a batch of pink with glitter to keep at home).
We’ve tried a few different recipes and this seems to always be our favorite. You can find the recipe all over the internet and in teaching books so I think it’s proved to be pretty tried and true over time. It’s really soft and lasts a long time.
Homemade Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon oil (we used sunflower oil)
- food coloring
- additional scents and/or glitter (optional)
1. Mix all the ingredients together. (Lucy’s favorite part because she can pretty much do it on her own.)
2. Stir it continually over medium-low heat until it forms a ball. Take it off the heat and dump it onto parchment paper or wax paper. Once it cools you can knead it a bit until it’s mixed fully and soft!