Make a super cute melting snowman craft right on a paper plate. Such a fun and simple winter craft for kids and goes great with a variety of snowman themed books.
This post contains affiliate links.
Make your very own melting snowman this winter using some common crafting supplies. Kids will love this cute winter project, and there’s so many ways to modify it with different materials. (Be sure to check all the ways to change up this craft at the end of this post.)
It also makes a great extension to popular snowman books like the ones listed below. You could also pair this craft with fun science explorations like this one using Insta-Snow!
Melting Snowman Winter Craft for Kids
Materials for Melting Snowman Paper Plate Craft
- Paper plate
- White felt
- Small styrofoam ball
- White or clear glitter
- Black puffy paint
- Orange craft foam or orange construction paper
- Small brown or black buttons
- Brown pipe cleaners
- Liquid glue
- Hot glue/hot glue gun (optional)
Directions for Melting Snowman Craft
1. Swirl a small amount of liquid glue onto your paper plate, and spread it out with your fingertip or paintbrush.
2. Sprinkle some white or iridescent glitter over the glue and shake off the excess.
3. Cut out a wavy, oval-like shape of white felt. Glue it to the center of your paper plate.
4. Glue the styrofoam ball onto the felt. (You might need a strong liquid glue like Tacky glue or a hot glue gun for this step.)
5. Cut a triangle from your orange foam and glue to the center of the styrofoam ball.
6. Use the black puffy paint to draw eyes and a mouth onto the styrofoam ball.
7. Cut the brown pipe cleaner into two 3-inch pieces. Glue them onto the white felt along with three black or brown buttons.
8. Let dry it all dry.
Tips and Tricks
- You could simplify this project by using white cardstock or construction paper instead of the white felt. Let kids cut out any wavy shape they want.
- Use real sticks in place of the brown pipe cleaners!
- If you use a smooth foam ball, you could draw the mouth with a Sharpie and use googly eyes! Or try a large white pom pom for the head. You could glue on the nose and googly eyes.
- Provide additional craft supplies and let your kids decorate their melted snowmen however they want!
- Drink some hot cocoa while creating your melted snowman craft.