This galaxy butterfly art project for kids is a fun one. Children use a blotto painting technique to make these unique butterflies- always a hit! You can cut out your own butterfly shapes or print out the free butterfly template to create your butterfly craft.
Follow our Art for Kids Pinterest board for more ideas!
This post contains affiliate links.
Do you remember doing blotto painting as a child? I remember just loving it. It’s always so fun to see what your finished artwork looks like after smushing together you scattered paints. The blotto painting technique is used in making this colorful galaxy butterfly craft. Of course, you don’t have to make your butterflies galaxy themed. You can create any color combination you’d like!
Galaxy Butterfly Craft
Materials for Galaxy Butterfly Craft
- Cardstock or Construction Paper
- Acrylic or Tempera Paint in Various Colors (This is our favorite tempera paint. It has very little odor and the colors are beautiful.)
- Liquid Glue
- Popsicle Stick
- Pipe Cleaners
- Pom Poms
- Googly Eyes
- Paint Brush
- Optional: Gold Glitter (Here’s an option for biodegradable glitter.)
- Optional: Free Printable Butterfly Template *
* You may need to scale the size of this butterfly to around 93% on your printer if you want all the text included.
Directions for Galaxy Butterfly Craft
1. You’ll first need to cut out your butterfly from white cardstock or construction paper. You can either download and print out our free butterfly template directly onto your cardstock or create your own butterfly design. (Older kids really enjoy making their own butterflies. Fold a piece of paper in half. Draw half a butterfly onto your paper with the folded edge as the center of your butterfly. Cut out your drawing to reveal your symmetrical butterfly shape.)
2. After you have your butterfly cut out, fold it in half and open it again. This will make folding it with the paint in the step later on much easier.
3. Decide on paint colors to use for your butterfly. If making galaxy butterflies, you’ll want to try colors like purple or violet, blue or turquoise, pink and/or magenta.
4. Add little drops of paint to only one side of the butterfly.
5. Fold the butterfly in half and gently press the butterfly together, rubbing your hands around a bit to help spread the paint.
6. Open up your butterfly to reveal your design!
7. Optional: Sprinkle gold glitter onto your butterfly.
8. Optional: If making a galaxy butterfly, you can use a toothbrush or paintbrush to gently splatter white paint across the butterfly.
9. Let the paint dry completely.
11. Cut a pipe cleaner into two 4-inch pieces. Round them at the top to form antennae. Glue them to the top of your popsicle stick.
12. Glue pom poms along the rest of the popsicle stick. We used a larger pom pom for the head.
13. Glue two googly eyes to your large pom pom head.
14. Let your blotto painted butterfly craft dry completely.
You’re finished! These look so fun hanging up around the classroom or at home!
See more crafts from Buggy and Buddy!