Homemade valentine cards made by kids are always so sweet! Here’s one of our favorite homemade valentines~ Butterly Pencil Valentine! This post also includes free printable labels to attach to your finished valentine cards.
Are you following our Valentine’s Day for Kids Pinterest board?
Do you remember our glitter stamped hearts we made recently? We decided to use the finished hearts from that post to make these adorable butterfly valentines! (This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!)
Valentine Cards: Butterfly Pencil Valentine
- Glitter hearts from our previous post (or just plain hearts cut from cardstock or construction paper)
- Valentine themed pencils (like these)
- Pipe cleaners
- Shipping labels (optional)
1. Make some glitter heart wings for your butterfly. Or you could also used plain hearts cut from cardstock or construction paper.
2. Choose two hearts to use for your butterfly.
3. Overlap the hearts by about 1 1/2 inches.
3. Holding the overlapping part together between your fingers, fold the hearts as if they were a greeting card, with glitter sides facing each other.
4. Cut two slits on the folded edge for the pencil.
5. Open up the heart “greeting card” and slip the pencil through the first slit and then through the second slit. The pencil is now holding your hearts together.
7. Use half of a pipe cleaner to add antennae, and you’re done!
8. You can also print out these free valentine labels to peel and stick to the back of your butterfly wings if you’re planning on passing them out! They are formatted to fit shipping sized labels (2 in. x 4 in.).
- My 2 year old painted his heart wings with watercolors rather than use glitter. There’s so many possibilities!
- Lucy needed quite a bit of help assembling the butterfly. We finally got a system going~ she’d hand me the two hearts and pencil for the butterfly, I’d do the cuts and insert the pencil, then she’d attach the antennae and shape them. Great teamwork!
What are some of your favorite homemade valentines?
Be sure not to miss:
- Stamping Glitter Hearts with a Cardboard Tube
- Play Dough & Cookie Cutter Valentine
- Valentine’s Day Sensory Box